Destinations you can visit from Linz Airport
The former fishing village of Hurghada is by far the best-known holiday resort on the Red Sea. It is also a popular destination for diving – with numerous diving shops and schools – and for a wide range of water sports. The holiday resorts of Makadi Bay, Soma Bay, Safage to the south and El Gouna to the north are part of the tourist centre of Hurghada.
Holidays in Hurghada
The leading seaside resort on the Red Sea
The name of this extremely popular holiday resort is derived from the word for "jetty". However, there was no harbour there in the past. Since the 1980s, Hurghada has developed into by far the leading seaside resort on the Red Sea. It is no wonder as its beautiful, gently sloping beaches stretch about 30 km along the coast and include several beautiful and attractive seaside resorts such as El Gouna or Makadi Bay. Just a few kilometres from the airport, hotel complexes and resorts of various categories in an extremely spacious and attractive design – often with an impressive pool landscape and slides – can be found all along the coast. The majority of hotels offer all-inclusive meals as a standard, but along Marina Boulevard, you can also enjoy local delicacies in the various cafés, restaurants and bars. The boulevard is also great for passing the time shopping in the many boutiques. If you are looking for a buzzing nightlife, this is the place to be – with plenty of discos and clubs where you can party until the early morning hours.
The crystal-clear water has an average temperature of 30 degrees Celsius in summer and 21 degrees in winter. And a wide range of water sports activities such as water skiing, surfing, snorkelling and sailing make for several great alternatives to sunbathing. Divers will be impressed by the breathtaking underwater world with magnificent coral reefs and a variety of colourful fish. Diving and snorkelling trips to the Giftun Islands or Paradise Islands, to the nature reserve Sharm El Naga, Mahmya Island or dolphin swimming in the Dolphin House are offered as well.
If you are looking for a change from being at the beach and the hotel, there is a wide range of excursion destinations – with options ranging from historic to adventurous. Whether you want to explore the desert by jeep, quad bike or on the back of a camel, or visit the most popular sights in and around Hurghada: Possibilities abound. Culture vultures and history buffs can choose from a variety of day trips by bus, plane or helicopter to the most famous Egyptian sights, such as Cairo, Luxor, the Valley of the Kings or the Pyramids of Giza.
Popular sights and attractions in and around Hurghada
- El Mina Mosque: example of modern Arabic architecture, completed in 2012
- Hurghada Grand Aquarium: aquarium with over 1,200 species in natural ecosystems
- EL Dahar: old town with traditional Egyptian cafés and souks; local market with everyday goods such as fruits, fresh fish, clothes and handicrafts
- Sand City: open-air museum of sand sculptures with a fabulous world of 60 objects made of sand and water
- Mini Egypt Park: near Makadi Bay (40 km from Hurhada's city centre), park with more than 60 miniature replicas of sights and attractions
- Madinat Makadi Aqua Park: spectacular water park with 45 great water slides
- Orange Bay: day trip for the whole family, small island with Caribbean flair, perfect for relaxing and snorkelling
- Day trips: by bus or small passenger planes to tourist attractions such as Luxor, Cairo, Valley of the Kings or the Pyramids of Giza
Ideal travel time
Hurghada offers pleasant air and water temperatures all year round. The months of March to June and September to November are particularly suitable for diving and snorkelling trips, as well as for sightseeing. From April to June and September to October, the weather is perfect for beach holidays – with cooler nights and a water temperature of at least 23 degrees Celsius. In July and August, it can get very hot, with temperatures of 30 degrees and above. The months of December to February are great for divers, and they are also the ideal time for desert safaris.