Your holiday destination
Destinations you can visit from Linz Airport
Zakynthos is the third-largest Ionian island and the tenth-largest Greek island in terms of surface area. It lies in the west of Greece and has a population of around 40,000. With a length of 40 kilometres and a width of 20 kilometres, the many beautiful beaches and impressive cliffs can be easily explored by car.
Holidays on Zakynthos
"The Flower of the East" in the Ionian Sea
The island paradise attracts countless summer holidaymakers every year. It is especially well known for its romantic bays and turquoise blue sea.
The beach of Navagio, also called Smugglers Cove or Shipwreck Beach, is world-famous. The bay is surrounded by tall and imposing rock faces and is only accessible from the sea. Entering the bay by boat through the crystal clear, light blue water is a breathtaking and unforgettable experience. You also get a wonderful view of the bay and the shipwreck that gives it its name from the scenic-view platform.
Kalamaki Beach invites you to relax and soak up the sun. If you want to combine sunbathing with a bustling nightlife, you might want to visit Laganas. Numerous beach bars on Laganas Beach invite you to party until the early morning hours.
Those seeking peace and quiet will prefer Alykes Beach on the west coast of the island. Porto Roxa Beach is an absolute insider tip. It has its own fan community among beach holidaymakers who want to spend their stay in a calm location away from mass tourism.
Gerakas Beach is a protected nature reserve and located on the southern tip of the island. In the wind-protected bay, you might even catch a glimpse of a baby turtle hatching.
For diving and snorkelling fans, the underwater world in the southwest of Zakynthos is a true paradise. Caves, crevices, grottos and even a few reefs are waiting to be discovered. In addition, a variety of underwater animals such as moray eels, octopus and rays can be seen there.Limniona Bay is somewhat hidden and a great location for some snorkelling.
To get to know Zakynthos with all its wonderful bays and exciting rock formations from a different perspective, you might want to take a boat trip.
Popular sights and attractions on Zakynthos
- Blue Caves: cave systems with impressive rock formations in crystal clear blue waters where you can go snorkelling
- Xigia Beach: famous for its healing waters, as it is fed by a sulphur spring. The sulphur gives the water a particularly bright colour.
- Marathonissi Island: also called Turtle Island. The loggerhead turtle can be observed in its natural habitat there.
- Keri: The small traditional village in the west of the island is surrounded by olive groves on a hill. You can enjoy a wonderful view from both the church tower and the lighthouse.
- Zakynthos Town: Museums, sights and many squares bear witness to a diverse history. The landmark of the island is the church of Agios Dionysos.
Ideal travel time
As Zakynthos is mainly visited by seaside holidaymakers, the perfect time to travel there is from June to mid-September, with daytime highs above 31 degrees Celsius and water temperatures of up to 26 degrees. So the water there is warmer than in the Aegean Sea.
If you want to watch the sea turtles lay their eggs, you should plan to travel there in June.
September is the perfect time to explore the island away from the crowds!